Funding your experience
There are many ways to fund your study abroad experience. You can find ways to help reduce the price and still have the adventure of a lifetime.
It is very important to start searching for scholarships early. Plan to apply at least six months before the start of your program.
Scholarship Essay Support
Edmonds College students working on personal statements and scholarship essays can submit writing online for feedback through eTutoring, a free online tutoring platform where strong feedback from tutors who have at least a BA degree and are well-versed in scholarship writing will respond.
Students can submit drafts of the same essay up to three times for feedback on revisions. Be sure to plan ahead when submitting drafts, as responses may take between 24-48 hours.
If you are eligible for financial aid, this can be very helpful towards your trip. Financial aid can help cover your Edmonds College tuition and some of the program fees.
Expand the sections below for scholarship information on the following categories:
- General Study Abroad Scholarships
- Running Start Student Scholarships
- Scholarships for Studying in Asia
- Scholarships for Studying in Spain
- Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS) - Bilateral Program
- Internship Scholarships
- Scholarship Search Engines
- Washington Scholarships
Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarships
- Eligibility: A citizen of the United States, an undergraduate student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States. For more information visit https://www.gilmanscholarship.org/program/eligibility/
- A step by step of how to apply is on the website. Currently Summer and Fall 2020/ Academic Year 2020-21 applications are open.
- Submit an online application by student deadline with Essays and Transcripts (official and unofficial are both accepted) Note: you need to register an account.
Fund for Education Abroad
- The Summer 2020, Fall 2020, and Academic Year 2020-2021 Application is closed.
- Start by checking your eligibility before applying and use helpful resources provided. Some eligibility requirements include: Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, currently enrolled as an undergraduate at a college or university in the U.S. (graduate students are not eligible), and credits must be transferable to the student’s home institution.
- The mission of the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) is to provide scholarships and ongoing support to students who are underrepresented among the US study abroad population. FEA makes life-changing, international experiences accessible to all by supporting minority, community college, and first-generation college students before, during, and after they participate in education abroad programs.
The Diversity Abroad Overseas Ambassador Program
- Offers for Fall and Spring Semesters
- Requirements are:
- You are enrolled full-time at your college or university
- You are participating in a semester or a year-long period.
- You have a minimum cumulative 2.75 GPA at an accredited U.S. university or college.
- Complete the application form.
The Critical Language Scholarship
- Requirements are:
- Your program must result to a degree
- At least 18 years old
- Unofficial transcripts to apply (Official transcripts for finalists)
- 2 professional recommendation forms
- You must have studied or have experience on the target language. You can determine your level at the site by looking for CLS Language Levels and Terminology.
The Harry S Truman Scholarship
- Deadlines are dependent on which type of award applied to. (Staats Award and Stevens Award)
- Login to apply by creating an account.
- Requirements are generally:
- You must be currently employed in some type of public service at the time of the award.
- Must not be a previous winner or recipient of any award.
- Have been selected as a Truman Scholar at least ten (10) years prior to the date of nomination
- Additional Scholar Benefits for Truman Scholars are available.
The Boren Scholarship
- Requirements are:
- You are a U.S. citizen at the time of application
- A high school graduate, or have earned a GED
- Matriculated in an undergraduate degree program located within the United States accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Transcripts at colleges or universities where a degree is pursued, two essays, two letters of recommendation
- Boren Fellowships: January 31, 2020, 5 p.m. EST
- Boren Scholarships: February 7, 2020, 5 p.m. EST
- Each Campus Representative sets his or her own on-campus deadline. Please visit choosing a deadline and notify email@example.com to set the deadline.
Generation Study Abroad Travel Grants
- Searches scholarships or grants based on your information.
- By making study abroad happen for you, you need to fill out the information on their website. After entering the information select “how to apply”
- Scholarship application deadlines and notification timeline is available on the website. This includes need-based grants and merit scholarship.
- Requirements for Merit Scholarships include: Complete essay section of the scholarship application. Start your application by opening a CIEE Account.
The WCCCSA Scholarships
- Generally offered for credit-bearing study abroad programs.
- There are rules to be followed when applying for a WCCCSA scholarship like: You must have applied to a WCCCSA Study Abroad program (most credit-bearing Edmonds College programs are through WCCCSA) and paid the deposit in order to be eligible to apply for a scholarship.
- One of the requirements is an essay and more information is found on the application form.
Edmonds College Foundation
- All students with a 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher who plan to attend Edmonds College in the upcoming academic year are eligible to apply. (excluding Running Start students)
- Applications typically opens in the winter quarter and is due in spring quarter.
- For more information please visit edcc.edu/foundation.
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants and Financial Support
- Eligibility: Students must meet the minimum requirement for the study abroad program they are applying to and have at least a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Applications must be postmarked or sent via email. Start by downloading the application. (Generation Study Abroad Scholarship Application Form)
- Deadlines: Fall Semester/Academic Year/Fall Quarter: April 15 , Spring Semester/January Term/ Spring quarter: October 1, Summer: March 1
- Fall: April 30
- Winter/Spring: October 30
- Summer: February 28
- Scholarship application documents and completed program applications and materials must be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download the Eligibility requirements and scholarship application to learn about the scholarship application and its eligibility requirements and fill up the application form found on the last page.
The Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange
- CBYX is administered regionally by four well-renowned international exchange organizations. Residents of the following states will apply to CBYX through ASSE International Student Exchange Programs: AK, CA, HI, ID, MT, ND, NV, OR, SD, and WA
- A U.S. Citizen
- Between 15-18 years and 6 months on August 1 of the program departure year.
- A current high school student at the time of application, with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Application and Selection is provided on the website.
National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y)
- All requirements and forms are provided on the website. Some general requirements include: Official Grade Transcripts, 1 Teacher recommendation letter, and 1 Parent/Guardian statement supporting your application.
- General requirements include: Be a U.S. citizen, Be in need of Financial support, have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and be currently enrolled at an accredited U.S. undergraduate or graduate program.
- Detailed requirements for application are on the website.
- The winner of the scholarship will be notified via email. If the applicant fails to respond within five business days, then the prize will be awarded to the second-best candidate.
Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan
- Fall 2020 is open and applications. The deadline for receipt of applications is April 10, 2020.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen and enrolled as an undergraduate in a college or university in the United States before and during the time they are studying abroad.
- Their study in Japan must last for at least 3 months and must earn credit that will transfer to their home campus in the U.S.
- Each recipient will be expected to send a brief report about his or her study in Japan to the AATJ office within 90 days of returning from abroad.
- AATJ Office Email: email@example.com
- Location: Bridging Project Clearinghouse , American Association of Teacher of Japanese, Campus Box 366, 1424 Broadway, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0366. Phone: 303-492-5487 Fax: 303-492-5856
The Blakemore Foundation Language Grant
- Applications are accepted each year between July 1 and December 30.
- General information can be found on their website. You can apply online as well.
- Requirements: An applicant must have (at minimum) a bachelor’s degree and have completed the equivalent of the third year of language classes at the college level by the start of the grant, either through classes taken in university or in combination with study-abroad language programs.
Freeman Asia Awards and Study Abroad in Asia
- All application for Academic Year 2020-2021 will open in early 2020. Includes Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and full academic year 2020-2021
- A complete detail of the eligibility requirements is available online.
- To be considered for an award, all applicants must submit an application via Embark. When you register your Embark account, you will receive an email confirming your registration.
- Locate “Completing the Freeman-ASIA Application” to get started step-by-step.
Spanish Studies Abroad Scholarship Program
- It is open to students enrolled in study abroad programs in Spain, Argentina, Cuba, and Puerto Rico.
- They provide various scholarships like Merit-based scholarship and Diversity scholarship that have their own requirements and eligibility information.
- You can apply by creating your spanish studies account first.
- Eligibility requirements: A citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, be in good health, High school graduate under the age of 25 for undergraduate programs, or a bachelor’s degree holder under 35 for master programs.
- For more information, please visit the website.
- Intern in Buenos Aires and Mendoza, Argentina, and Montevideo, Uruguay, this summer through professional and cultural immersion programs at Puentes Abroad.
- Fund your experience through their Scholarship Contest. Deadline is February 15, 2020.
- Must be at least 18 years old and a U.S. citizen or legal resident.
- A free online scholarship search engine that is customizable to your unique situation as a student.
API Study Abroad
- Participants may apply for multiple API Scholarships.
Scholarship awards and information depend on the type of program chosen. You can find the program you want at the program finder section of the website.
- A database including various scholarships based on location, degree, academics etc. all aimed at helping students study abroad.
CIEE Study Abroad
- Offers scholarships based on Academic excellence, ambassadorship, access grants and scholarships.
- You can find out how to apply on the CIEE website.
These are scholarships specifically for students living in Washington state. While not specifically for study abroad, you can apply funds toward the related costs, such as tuition and books.
Washington Women in Need Scholarship
- Apply Here
- For female students 18+ years old with established financial need. Is open to DACA recipients, refugees and asylees.
- Amount: $5,000
- Deadline: April 15
Washington Opportunity Scholarship
- Apply Here
- For WA residents pursuing STEM or healthcare realted fields.
- Amount: Up to $22,500 for 4 years
- Deadline: February
Fred G. Zahn Scholarship Fund
- Apply Here
- For students who have graduated from a WA high school and have financial need.
- Amount: $1,500
- Deadline: June