Lyon, France | Spring 2019
Come study in Lyon, rated the number one city in France for students! Lyon is France’s second largest city and an important European crossroad. Its remarkable location at the heart of Europe links Lyon, with an average of 90 minutes travel time, to all of the major European metropolises including Barcelona, Milan, Turin, and Geneva thanks to a network of communication by air, road, or rail. The proximity of Provence, the Mediterranean, the Alps, and the large wine regions adds charm to the Lyon area.
Lyon's fine cuisine is an integral part of the local way of life. The city is the capital of French gastronomy and offers a choice between the popular charm of its famous bouchon bistros, the refined elegance of its two- and three-star gourmet restaurants, and the warm lively atmosphere of its open-air markets.
The 2000-year-old historic center is now recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site; artistic creativity thrives and cultural activities abound all year round. Lyon truly offers a wide palette of cultural events of international standing.
Classes will be held at CEFAM (Centre d’études Franco-Américain de Management), a French-
American Business school working in partnership with five American Business schools (AACSB
accredited). CEFAM is located on a campus that houses 24 different schools in a business and university area with many restaurants around. It is one metro stop from Lyon’s historic center, a popular area well known for its architecture from the antiquity and middle ages as well as for its traditional Lyonnais restaurants. It is also very close to the city center, the most lively part of Lyon, with many cafés, restaurants, and clothing stores.
Campus and Classrooms
Classrooms are furnished with audio-visual equipment including interactive and overhead projectors.
- Over 10 computer labs and 3 high-tech learning labs on campus
- Numerous studying areas on campus
- Free access to the internet in the computer lab and wifi provided
- Orientation session, assistance and 24/7 emergency contact
- Students have access to a gym close to campus for 29€/month + 65€ of enrollment fees.
Students will have a metro pass that will give them unlimited access to public transportation (buses, metro, tramways) anywhere in Lyon and the surrounding area.
Students register for their courses at the home campus. See your study abroad advisor for course offering. Students will take a total of 3 classes including a French Language and Culture class.
- French Language and Culture (5 credits) is required for all students.
- Other Classes totaling 10 credits TBD upon selection of faculty.
This is an academic program and students are expected to enroll in a full-time course load (15 credits). Failure to participate in the academic coursework may result in dismissal from the program. Students are encouraged to make the most of their classroom learning as it will enhance understanding of all the local area has to offer.
Excursions and Activities
- Orientation session, welcome dinner, and farewell dinner
- Visit to Lyon and its 2000-year-old historic center.
- Visit to Lyon’s Roman amphitheater and Museum
- Cheese tasting
- Day trip to Beaune, a beautiful town in the world famous wine-making region of Burgundy. Burgundy is also renowned for its mustard-making. Dijon, where the Dijon mustard is from, is the capital of Burgundy.
- Visit to the Institut Lumière, the birthplace of cinema
- French Cuisine cooking classes
- Visit to a small chocolate workshop
Use free weekends to travel in France and to Europe’s great cities including London, Amsterdam, Florence and Madrid.
Students will be living with French host families in Lyon. They will have their own bedroom and will have the option to have dinner with the French family every night. Breakfast is also included in the package. Students will be responsible for their own lunch meal but will have access to the fridge to store their food and to the kitchen to cook. Students will fill out a questionnaire about host family options in order to best understand the students’ needs and find the most appropriate family for each of them. CEFAM works in collaboration with Lyon Expat Agency, a company dedicated to arranging accommodations for expatriates and study abroad students in Lyon. They have carefully selected the families and visited all the houses in which students will be living.
Early bird special- $6700 (Nov. 1st 2018)
- Group transfer between the airport and the accommodation upon program arrival and departure
- Housing in Homestay with breakfast and dinner provided daily
- Orientation program and a 24-hour emergency contact service
- All excursions and activities listed in this document
- Welcome dinner, farewell dinner, lunch on the day-trip to Beaune
- Public transportation pass
- Health insurance
- College tuition and fees
- Course books or materials (unless specified)
- Passport and visa fees if applicable
- Any meals not specified in this document
- Personal expenses
- Anything not specified as included in the program
- Optional personal effects insurance coverage
WCCCSA Lyon participants are all eligible to apply for the $1,000 WCCCSA scholarship. Applications are due on or before Nov. 1st 2018. Requirements include a 250 word essay answering the following question: “What do you believe to be the value in studying abroad? When you look back on your study abroad, what do you hope to say that you have gained from the experience, academically, personally, and professionally?”
Where: Shoreline Community College
What to bring: Students need to bring (a) a signed copy of the Student Guidelines, (b) 4 passport photos, (c) a copy of your passport, (d) flight itineraries for students not on the group flight, (e) a notepad to take notes, and (f) questions. Student participants should also invite parents, guardians, or whomever they feel should attend with them.
Coffee will be provided in the morning and lunch will be served. The faculty will be available to discuss their courses and expectations.
Dates and Deadlines
Application Deadline: December 14, 2018
Final Payment Deadline: February 27, 2019
Program Dates: April 7 - June 15, 2019
Make an appointment with your study abroad advisor and begin the application process!