Community | Connections | Support
Get All the Way to the Big Goal: A Career in Math and Science
There's a place for you in math and science at Edmonds Community College. Start now! Visit the MESA student center located in the Math Center in Mukilteo Hall 206. MESA (Math, Engineering, Science Achievement) Program focuses primarily on initiatives to improve diversity and retention with an emphasis on traditionally underrepresented students in STEM fields, including African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic/Latinos, Pacific Islanders and women.
You May be Eligible for the MESA Program if You:
- are the first person in your family to go to college
- don't have a previous bachelors degree
- intend to transfer to a four year institution and earn a STEM degree
- are at a disadvantage economically (you qualify for federal financial aid. work study, or are at or below the federal poverty level)
- math assessment is at or above Math 77: Introductory Algebra
MESA May be a Good Fit if You:
- have been encouraged to go for a certain career by family members because they didn't have the opportunity;
- think you may want to take more math and science, but are unsure;
- know you want to study math and science, but aren't sure about career opportunities;
- want to pursue a career in math or science, but don't know anyone who has;
- would consider a career in math in science, but worry the classes will be too hard;
- want to contribute and make your voice heard in new fields and technologies;
- want to inspire your family, give back, and show others what is possible;
- are interested in medicine, engineering, or teaching math and science.
Student Support Services in the MESA Program Include:
- one-on-one help to get you to your goals and help you know your resources;
- academic advising and study groups;
- peer tutoring;
- one-on-one homework help from faculty;
- free printing;
- financial assistance and help navigating financial aid; and
- transfer advising — help to complete degrees and go on to four-year schools.
The center also has computers and a study room.
About Washington MESA
The Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) program at Edmonds Community College was started in 2010 with a grant from Washington MESA. Washington MESA programs aim to help underrepresented students in Washington state achieve their full potential and contribute in the fields of mathematics, engineering, and science. Washington MESA is funded by the National Science Foundation.
MESA Success at Edmonds Community College
Recently MESA at Edmonds CC participated in a presentation highlighting student success initiatives on campus. You can view the presentation here.